Governor's Task Force on Broadband Access
On July 14th, 2020, Governor Tony Evers signed
Executive Order #80 (Accessible Version) creating the
Governor's Task Force on Broadband Access. The task force will advise the Governor and Wisconsin State Legislature on broadband actions and policy, including strategies for successfully expanding high speed internet access to every residence, business, and institution in the state; initiatives for digital inclusion; and pathways to unlocking and optimizing the benefits of statewide, affordable access to broadband for all communities in Wisconsin.
Leadership & Membership
The task force will be chaired by Brittany Beyer, Executive Director for Grow North Regional Economic Development Corporation, and consists of members who represent a balance of interests, perspectives, and areas of expertise. It will bring together a diverse group of stakeholders to research and develop recommendations for actions so that all Wisconsinites can have access to this essential and critical service needed for daily life.
Governor's Task Force on Broadband Access members include:
- Robert Earl Baker III, Founder, RenderTech
- Marta Bechtol, Executive Director, Educational Communications Board
- Brittany Beyer (Chair), Executive Director, Grow North Regional Economic Development Corporation
- Tom Boron, IT Director, Washburn County
- Salvador L. Carranza, Founder, Latino Education Council of Dane County
- Shannon Clark, CEO & General Manager, Richland Electric Cooperative
- Lori Collins, President/CEO, SonicNet Inc.
- Emily Dittmar, Legislative Director, Wisconsin Educational Media and Technology Association
- Andrew Faust, Senior GIS Analyst, North Central Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission
- Celeste Flynn, Director of Government Affairs, Charter Communications
- Chris Her-Xiong, Executive Director/Principal, Hmong American Peace Academy
- Gail Huycke, Community Development Specialist, UW-Extension Center for Community and Economic Development
- Kurt Kiefer, Assistant State Superintendent, Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
- Howard Marklein, State Senator (R-Spring Green)
- Jose Martinez, Vice President, UMOS
- Chris Meyer, Director of Virtual Care and Telehealth, Marshfield Clinic Health System
- Beth Meyers, State Representative (D-Bayfield)
- Jeffrey Mursau, State Representative (R-Crivitz)
- Brad Pfaff, State Senator (D-La Crosse)
- Jean Pauk, Government Affairs Manager, TDS Telecommunications
- Theron Rutyna, IT Director, Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa
- Brett Schuppner, General Manager, Reedsburg Utility Commission
- Thomas J. Shaitel, Consultant and Senior Advisor, KS Energy Services LLC
- Scott VanderSanden, President – AT&T Plains States, AT&T
- Chad Young, CEO/General Manager, Norvado
Annual Broadband Report
The task force will prepare an annual report that will include the current state of broadband in Wisconsin, as well as recommendations for policies and initiatives to overcome challenges to statewide access, affordability and adoption. Staffing support for the task force will be provided by the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin (PSC) State Broadband Office.
Task Force Meetings
Members of the public may access meeting audio via the internet and call-in numbers on this webpage as information becomes available.
Wednesday, August 26th, 2020, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Wednesday, September 23rd, 2020, 10-11:30 a.m. – Immediate Solutions Working Group
Friday, October 9th, 2020, 10-11:30 a.m. – Immediate Solutions Working Group
Wednesday, October 28th, 2020,
9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Friday, November 13th, 2020, 10-11:30 a.m. – Immediate Solutions Working Group
Tuesday, December 15th, 2020, 2-3:30 p.m. –
Wisconsin Broadband Office Presentation
Wednesday, January 6th, 2021, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Future Task Force Meetings (All times in Central Standard Time):
Wednesday, January 22nd, 2021, 10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. - Defining Terms Subgroup
Wednesday, February 24th, 2021, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Wednesday, March 31st, 2021, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Wednesday, April 28th, 2021, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Wednesday, May 26th, 2021, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.