Exiting the Wisconsin Telecommunications Market
Providers that are exiting the Wisconsin market need to notify the Commission of that exit. The exact procedure varies slightly by type of provider, but all providers must identify themselves, provide the effective date of market exit, and verify that no customers will be adversely affected by the exit.
That notification must include the following:
- A clear identification of the company, including the company’s Utility ID Number
- A clear statement that the company is exiting the Wisconsin telecommunications market
- The date on which the company stopped / will stop doing business in Wisconsin
- A declaration that the company either 1) had no customers or 2) all customers were transferred to another company. If the later, the notification needs to identify the other company and include a copy of the notice sent to customers informing them of the change
- Confirmation that the company has filed, or has made arrangements to file, their response to the Commission’s Annual Questionnaire covering the year in which they stopped doing business in Wisconsin. Since annual questionnaires cover the previous year’s activity, if a provider ended their operations in the middle of 2015, they would have to file the 2016 questionnaire, and pay assessments on their income for the portion of 2015 during which they were doing business
If the provider is certified as a Reseller, CLEC or other type of provider that received a formal Commission certification order, the provider should entitle their filing “Request for Voluntary Decertification” and upload it to the
electronic records filing system as a new/non-docket, using the appropriate utility identification number, and choose “Application” as the document type. The application needs to include a notarized affidavit, signed by a corporate officer authorized to bind the petitioner, which verifies that all information provided in the petition is true and correct to the best of the officer’s knowledge or belief.
If the provider is registered with the Commission as a VoIP Provider, CMRS or other type of telecommunications provider not certified as telecommunications utilities by formal Commission order, the provider should entitle their filing “Notification of Market Exit” and upload it to the
electronic records filing system as a new/non-docket, using the appropriate utility identification number, and choose “Correspondence” as the document type.
Note: Companies exiting the market will be required to pay any outstanding assessments, and any future assessments applicable to the period during which they were in operation within Wisconsin.
If you have questions or comments about decertification, or require assistance in drafting the appropriate notification of market exit, please contact Peter Jahn at 608-267-2338, or via email at
Questions about using the Electronic Records Filing System should be directed to Becky Yoh at 608-261-8521 or via email at