Notice of Intent by VoIP Providers Requesting Numbering Resource
Interconnected VoIP providers are now permitted to obtain numbering resources directly from the North American Numbering Plan Administrator and/or the Pooling Administrator, (Numbering Administrators), rather than utilizing intermediaries to obtain numbering resources. This was authorized in the
Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) Direct Access Report and Order. That FCC order requires interconnected VoIP providers to file notice of intent to request numbering resources with the state commission at least 30 days prior to requesting numbers from the Numbering Administrators.
File a Notification
To file such notification, the provider must upload the notice of intent to the Commission’s Electronic Regulatory Filing system (ERF) at least 30 days in advance of the request for numbers. The notice of intent must include the following:
- Company Name, PSCW utility identification number and official address.
- The name, title, address, email address and phone number of the company’s regulatory representative.
- The name, title, address, email address and phone number of the company’s numbering representative.
- For each block request, the following information:
- The applicant’s IP-enabled service provider (IPES) OCN
- The NPA
- The rate center(s)
- Whether the request is initial or growth
- The number of Thousand-blocks which will be requested
- The quantity of CO codes which will be requested
The notice of intent to request numbers must be uploaded to the PSC
Electronic Records Filing (ERF) system.
The notice should be uploaded under docket 5-TN-[year] where year is the current calendar year. For example, for calendar year 2022, upload the notification to docket 5-TN-2022.
The notice should be described as “Notice of intent by [Company name], an interconnected VoIP provider, to request telephone number resources.”
If the company needs to modify or correct the notice of intent, it should upload a letter describing the corrections to ERF, under the same docket.
Questions or Comments
If you have questions or comments about the notice of intent or numbering issues, please contact Peter Jahn at (608) 267-2338, or via email at
Questions about using the Electronic Records Filing System (ERF) should be directed to the Records Management unit at (608) 261‑8524, or via email at