The Wisconsin Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS)
Wisconsin Statute § 196.378, requires all Wisconsin electric providers to provide their retail electricity customers with a certain percentage of electricity from
renewable resources. The RPS creates an overall statewide goal of 10% renewable electricity by 2015.
Each Wisconsin electric provider has a unique RPS requirement, known as their renewable “baseline,” based on how much renewable electricity the electric provider was providing in the years 2001-2003. Investor-owned utilities, municipal utilities and electric cooperatives are all obligated to comply with the RPS. Each electric provider must maintain their baseline renewable percentage for the years 2006-2009. In 2010, each electric provider must provide an additional 2% renewable electricity above their baseline percentage. From 2011-2014, electric providers must maintain their baseline percentage plus 2%. In 2015, each electric provider must add an additional 4% renewable electricity, for a total of 6% above their baseline renewable percentage, and must maintain this level in subsequent years.
The Commission is required to biannually evaluate the impact of the RPS on the rates and revenue requirements of electric providers, and compare that impact with the impact that would have occurred if renewable energy practices of electric providers were subject to market forces in the absence of the requirements of the RPS. The Commission’s report for 2012 is available in docket
5-GF-220. The Commission’s report for 2014 is also available in docket
The Commission evaluates electric provider compliance with the RPS annually. Electric providers must file information demonstrating their compliance for each compliance year by April 15 of the following year. Electric providers use the
Midwest Renewable Energy Tracking System to demonstrate RPS compliance.
Recent RPS compliance dockets are listed below.