- Portage Solar is seeking approval to construct, install, operate, and maintain the Portage Solar Project, a 250-MW photovoltaic (PV) solar energy generating facility in the Town of Grant and Plover, Portage County, Wisconsin (“Project”). The Project, which is anticipated to be placed in service as early as November 2024, would be constructed on 2,167 acres of primarily agricultural land. In addition to the solar panel arrays, several new structures would be required for the project including a new on-site substation, an Operations and Maintenance building (O&M), and a Battery Energy Storage System (BESS). Additional components including power conversion units, inverters, underground collector circuits would be constructed adjacent to the solar panel arrays. The project would require the construction of a new 500 foot, 115kV gen-tie line (a new electric line to transmit energy generated by the facility to the existing electric transmission grid).
Applicant stated need: This project is proposed by an independent power producer Portage Solar, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of National Grid Renewables. As such, the need for the project is not reviewed by the Commission.
Estimated cost: This project is proposed by an independent power producer, and the Commission does not review the project cost or need. The cost to Wisconsin Utilities, and ratepayers, would be reviewed if the facility is proposed to be purchased by a Wisconsin Utility, or Utilities.
Project Location: The proposed project is located in the Towns of Grant and Plover in Portage County, Wisconsin (see maps below).
- The application was submitted to the Commission in March of 2022.
- If approved, the proposed construction schedule for this project would begin in August of 2023. The project is proposed to be completed and in service by November of 2024.
Key Application Documents and Case Contacts
Case Contacts and Additional Information
in the PSC Case Management System to view additional information including:
- Staff Involved: this tab contains contact details for PSC staff assigned to the docket, including the case coordinator and the environmental review coordinator
- Documents: this tab contains a complete list of docket documents categorized by document type
This is a Type II action under Wis. Admin. Code § PSC 4.10 (2). The EA will be prepared to determine if an environmental impact statement is necessary under Wis. Stats. § 1.11.
Opportunities for Public Participation
The Commission offers several opportunities for public participation in its proceedings. For construction projects, these opportunities may include providing input regarding the scope of environmental impact documents, attending public hearings sessions, and signing up for emails for updates related to a particular case.
- Public Hearing Dates: see Events in
Docket 9810-CE-100 for details on when public hearings will be held for this case
Public Comments: view all cases that currently have an open public comment period and submit a comment
ERF – EZ Subscriptions: sign up to get notified when new documents are filed in this case
Docket Calendar: filter by docket to see events for this case or sign up to get notified when events are scheduled for this case