Wisconsin Stat. § 196.372
While replacement of most utility-owned infrastructure containing lead, including mains, goosenecks, and service lines generally does not require approval from the Commission, the provision of financial assistance to help customers replace the customer-side of lead service lines does require Commission approval. See
Wis. Stat. § 196.372. In order to use ratepayer dollars for replacement of customer-side lead service lines, utilities need to meet the requirements found in Wis. Stat § 196.372. These requirements include:
- The municipal government in which the utility provides financial assistance must enact an ordinance that: a.) permits the utility to provide financial assistance to private property owners; and, b.) requires that customers replace their service lines that contain lead.
- When utilities replace a customer-side LSL, the utility must ensure that the utility-side service line and the main either do not currently contain lead or are replaced at the same time as the portion owned by the property owner.
- The utility must submit an application and obtain approval for its replacment program from the PSC.
Wisconsin Stat. §196.372 also includes definitions and restrictions on how a utility may provide financial assistance:
- "Customer-side water service line" means the portion of a water service line owned by a property owner.
- "Financial assistance" means a grant, loan, or combination thereof.
- "Utility-side water service line" means the portion of a water service line owned by a water public utility.
- Grants provided as financial assistance to a property owner may not exceed 50% of the cost to replace the customer-side water service line.
- Any loan provided to a property owner may not be forgiven by the utility or the municipality.
- If the utility intends to provide financial assistance as a percentage of the cost of replacing the property owner's portion of the service line, the percentage must be the same for each owner in a class of customers.
- If the utility intends to provide financial assistance as a specified dollar amount, the amount must be the same for each owner in a class of customers.
How to Apply for PSC Approval of Financial Assistance Programs for Customer-Owned Lead Service Line Replacement
To apply for Commission approval, a utility should submit application materials(PDF format) to the
PSC Electronic Records Filing (ERF) System using the
Utility's PSC identification number. If your utility is interested in applying to the PSC, please contact Denise Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-266-1282.