Numbering Resource for Interconnected VoIP Providers
Interconnected VoIP providers are now permitted to obtain numbering resources directly from the North American Numbering Plan Administrator and/or the Pooling Administrator, (Numbering Administrators), rather than utilizing intermediaries to obtain numbering resources. This was authorized in the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) Direct Access Report and Order . That FCC order requires interconnected VoIP providers to file notice of intent to request numbering resources with the state commission at least 30 days prior to requesting numbers from the Numbering Administrators.
To file such notification, the provider must upload the notice of intent to the Commission’s Electronic Regulatory Filing system (ERF) at least 30 days in advance of the request. The notice of intent must include the following:
- Company Name, PSCW utility identification number and official address.
- The name, title, address, email address and phone number of the company’s regulatory representative.
- The name, title, address, email address and phone number of the company’s numbering representative.
- For each block request, the following information:
- The applicant’s IP-enabled service provider (IPES) OCN
- The NPA
- The rate center(s)
- Whether the request is initial or growth
- The number of Thousand-blocks which will be requested
- The quantity of CO codes
The notice of intent to request numbers must be uploaded to the Commission’s ERF system, which is located here:
http://apps.psc.wi.gov/pages/ERFupload.htm. The notice should be uploaded under docket 5-TN-2020. The notice should be described as “Notice of intent by [Company name], an interconnected VoIP provider, to request telephone number resources.”
If the company needs to modify or correct the notice of intent, it should upload a letter describing the corrections to ERF, under the company’s utility ID number.
If you have questions or comments about the notice of intent or numbering issues, please contact Peter Jahn at 608-267-2338, or via email at
firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions about using the Electronic Regulatory Filing System (ERF) should be directed to Jackie Gardner at 608‑261‑8521, or via email at
Numbering Policies for Modern Communications et al.,
Report and Order, 30 FCC Rcd 6839 (2015) (Direct Access Report and Order